Eco-solidarity garden of the UdG is born in a global context of crisis, that is to say, of a lot of precariousness and needs that despite having an important impact on many sections of the population, has a very severe impact on the most vulnerable groups. At the local level, in the Eco-solidarity garden project, there are different factors that through the project have the opportunity to interact. There is, on the one hand, the existence of a patch of land in a peri-urban environment owned by UdG; on the other hand, this increase of people at risk of exclusion in the city of Girona, with a growing demand in social services, of people with serious financial difficulties to cover the basic needs that usually lead to a loss of autonomy that hinders their social integration. For the UdG, the project strengthens its responsibility to promote scientific values and citizens that contribute to the coexistence and the improvement of the quality of life of people.
- Provide quality food products (vegetables) to the reception center and social services (soup kitchen La Sopa, Girona )
- Implement a social reintegration program that will benefit the users of the center through ecological cultivation and learning in the management and production of urban gardens.
- The users of La Sopa will receive an accompaniment from UdG students who participate in the Program of Solidarity Activities of the Cooperation Office, which will also benefit from this learning.
- The project also incorporates people with intellectual disabilities users of the Ramon Noguera Foundation Group, doing works from the garden that are converted by this group into therapeutic activities.
- La Sopa users (homeless people)
- Users of the Ramon Noguera Foundation (intellectual disability)
- Users of the program of solidarity activities (UdG students)
The project aims to promote joint work and the “knowledge dialogue” of the participating groups, which helps consolidate the group, while promoting a certain sense of “belonging” that is very positive and enriching for all the people.
- Social commitment unit UdG (Cooperative Office, Green Office)
- Department of Environmental Sciences UdG
- Department of EQATA UdG (plant pathology)
- Consortium of the reception center La Sopa (Girona’s Town Hall)
- People in severe poverty or exclusion, homeless people (La Sopa users, Girona): 6
- UdG students, University community: 60
- Adult people with intellectual disabilities (Users of the Ramon Noguera Foundation): 30
- Academic work
- WOD (work order degree) of social education: 1
- Degree works in Environmental Sciences : 4
- Practical work in company: 2 UdG and 3 IES