The objective of FLOWERED is to contribute to the development of a sustainable water management system in areas where pollution by fluoride (F) affects water, soil and food in the countries of Africa’s Rift Valley (Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania) in order to improve the quality of life (environment, health and food) of their populations. Innovative technologies for the defluorisation of drinking water and irrigation, mainly in the smaller villages, will be studied, tested and implemented, and a sustainable, integrated and participatory management system for water and agriculture that also functions across borders will be developed.
As well as the complexity of defluorising water, the scientific perspective that FLOWERED presents is based on a detailed knowledge of the geologic and hydro-geologic context that controls water contamination and which is a prerequisite for the implementation of a sustainable water management system, and for adequate and sustainable strategies for water sanitation and agriculture.
An analysis will be carried out of innovative agricultural practices that aim to mitigate the fluoride (F) contaminating water and soil for producing crops for food and forage crops, and for the soil and the production of dairy cows. The development of a shared and innovative system of geological data will support the integrated, sustainable and participatory management system.
Based on innovative technologies and practices, and taking local experiences into account, FLOWERED will implement an integrated water and agricultural management system and will allow local communities to manage water resources, beginning with the use of effective defluorisation techniques, and the application of sustainable agricultural practices. The integrated perspectives will expand the knowledge of the EU partners, local researchers, producers and policy-makers. Thanks to the participation of small and medium-sized businesses, the Project will strengthen the process of demonstration with a co-innovative development and open new opportunities in the market.
- Università degli studi di Cagliari (Italy, Coordinator)
- Università degli studi di Sassari (Italy)
- Università degli studi di Siena (Italy)
- Universitat de Barcelona (Spain)
- Aberystwyth University (United Kingdom)
- Addis Ababa University (Ethiopia)
- University of Eldoret (Kenya)
- The Nelson Mandela African Institute of Science and Technology (Tanzania)
- Oikos East Africa (Tanzania)
- Observatoire du Sahara et du Sahel (Tunisia)
- Hydro Technical Engineering Srl (Italy)
- Planetek Italia Srl (Italy)
- D D’enginy Biorem S.L. (Spain)
- Geomatrix Plc (Ethiopia)